Help To Buy: When do i need a Valuation?
What is the Help to Buy Scheme?
It’s a shared equity scheme introduced by the Government, where first-time buyers can borrow up to 20% (40% if you live in London) of the cost of a new build house. This is interest free for 5 years! After the 5 year period you will start to incur intrest on your loan, so you will really want to think quickly about either moving onto a new home and use the scheme again or taking out a normal residential mortgage to save you money.
For more information, check out the official Government Help to Buy website.
When do I need a valuation?
If you have used the Help to Buy scheme and are now in a position to remortgage your home and start repaying your loan, then you need to get a RICS regulated valuation.
What criteria must be met?
You must hire a RICS regulated independent chartered valuer to carry out the valuation.
- They must be registered with RICS and be independent to an estate agent
- They cannot be related to you
- The valuer must provide at least 3 comparable properties and sale prices
- Those properties must be like for like with regards to property type, size, and age, and must be within a 2 mile radius of your property
- Valuations carried out for bank or mortgage purposes won’t be accepted
- The valuer must inspect the property interior and provide a full valuation report [not a survey]
- The report must be on headed paper, signed by a RICS surveyor, dated, and addressed to the appropriate association.
We meet all the criteria and carry out Help to Buy valuations at an affordable price – if you’d like to learn more or book in your own valuation, please get in touch with one of our offices near you.
Want to know more?...
Want more information on Winfields Chartered Surveyors South West?
Provide us your details below and we can aid you further in Surveys and Valuations and all our other surveying services