RICS Homebuyer Report
Choose this report if you need more extensive information whilst buying or selling a conventional house, flat or bungalow, built from common building materials and in reasonable condition.
- All of the features in the Condition Report;
- The surveyor’s professional opinion on the ‘market value’ of the property;
- An insurance reinstatement figure for the property;
- A list of problems that the surveyor considers may affect the value of the property;
- Advice on repairs and ongoing maintenance;
- Issues that need to be investigate to prevent serious damage or dangerous conditions;
- Legal issues that need to be addressed before completing your purchase; and
- Information on location, local environment and the recorded energy efficiency (where available)
Designed by the RICS as a cost effective method of minimising risk the Homebuyer Report is designed to provide buyers with enough information to make a reasoned and informed decision on whether to proceed with their purchase.
The report covers the building inside and outside, the services and the site and includes specific sections on all the main elements including roofs, walls, floors and joinery. Each element is given a condition rating for easy reference:
- Condition rating 1 (green): No repair is currently needed. The property must be maintained in the normal way.
- Condition rating 2 (amber): Defects that need repairing or replacing but are not considered to be either serious or urgent. The property must be maintained in the normal way.
- Condition rating 3 (red): Defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently.
Property related risks including movement, dampness and timber defects are also given their own section.
There is a very useful section towards the end of the report called ‘Issues for your legal advisors’ where all matters that require further investigation by your solicitor or conveyancer are summarised. The current owner has a duty to be honest when competing the property questionnaire but statements that could be confirmed by independent verification should not be relied upon.
Potential legal queries that might be highlighted in a Homebuyer Report include any ambiguity over the physical boundaries, ownership of outside space and rights of access, off-street parking, documentation relating to extensions (both to the subject property and adjoining properties) and alterations, guarantees/warranties and proposed work to areas that could not be inspected such as high level roofs.
We are always happy to provide additional services beyond the scope of the standard package, such as a specification for future works, which may be useful when sourcing a builder to undertake repairs.
You can get an idea of how useful our clients have found our survey reports to be by viewing some of their comments on our Trust Pilot reviews page.
If you are in the process of buying a property and would like to arrange an RICS Homebuyer Report please contact us today for a quote.
We want to hear from you today…
Contact us at your nearest branch below!
Henleaze Business Centre,
13 Harbury Road, Henleaze,
Bristol BS9 4PN
Tel: 01172 872199
Exeter EX2 8QR
Tel: 01392 984364
24-26 George Place,
Plymouth PL1 3NY
Tel: 01752 936567
Want to know more?...
Want more information on Winfields Chartered Surveyors South West?
Provide us your details below and we can aid you further in Surveys and Valuations and all our other surveying services